Sunday, April 05, 2009

The Dharma Haikus

I've decided this blog isn't really doing me any good.
So I'm just going to write here when I have some creative writing I'd like to share.
that being said, here's a few haikus I wrote for my Beat Poetry class.
inspired by The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac.


wine, bread, and cheese,
kindness and humility.
charity is just a word.

A religious wanderer
little bum in a gondola,
beliefs fueled by warm wine.

Diamonds in the dark.
As many grains of sand as
stars in the sky.

karma bore me unto
America,
where no one is free.

bellies full of wine,
shoes full of feet.
hiking.

Under ice-cold stars
we struggle to sleep..
and dream instead.

Simple as porridge
they see, they speak, they move,
they are.

Something somehow broken in my heart,
as though I could lie down
and remember

Climbing, bodies moving,
we become animals with
no need to speak.

My hair long, my eyes blue,
sixty sunsets are left behind
while I go on.

1 comment:

cass said...

I'll read whatever you write forever and ever. and I'll enjoy it, too. love you, beautiful.